Sunday, November 10, 2013

A Fermented Food Success Story!



   


     Hello! I am pleased to share with you a success story using the information provided on my my previous post:
http://womanofthewoodshealthportal.blogspot.com/2013/10/more-food-for-thought.html
where NutritionGeeks.com shares with us the value of consuming fermented foods in our diet. This recipe was gleaned from the info from that post by my friend and workmate, the lovely and talented Tina Hoffman. She has graciously allowed me to reproduce what she did here, to share with you! I must say, it is DELICIOUS!!! Two jars way, way up! So without further ado, here it is:


                                                  Tina's Ferment-abulous Cabbage!!!

Ingredients:

1/2 head red cabbage
1/2  head regular cabbage
4 carrots
1 small red onion
2 generous teaspoons of minced garlic - Hint: 1 clove equals about 1/2 teaspoon minced.
Salt and Pepper

Instructions:

Shred the cabbage and carrots into a bowl.

Finely chop the onion and add it to the mix. Add in the garlic, too.

Lightly add salt and pepper to taste. - Note: Although the salt combines with the juices to assist in the fermenting process, you only need to add a small amount to achieve the taste you want.

Mix the whole works together by hand. Squeeze the veggies as you go. The liquid released should make the veggies start to feel wet. (You are breaking down the cell-walls of the veggies to release their juices. These juices combined with the light salting creates "brine" which is the preserving and fermenting agent.)

Stuff the mixture into a jar, or jars, depending on the size of your jars and the yield. Make sure that the veggies are completely covered with the brine solution. (If not, you can add a little water to "top it off".)

Allow to sit on the counter for three days. You can let it sit longer, if you desire, but this tastes pretty awesome at three days. :) Place finished fermented product in the fridge to slow down the fermentation process and keep fresh.

Now, I must note, that in the picture I took of Tina's beautifully colored concoction, there are some alfalfa sprouts in it, too. This is because I was a "bad girl" and ate some before I got home to take the picture. ( I couldn't help it! It's really THAT good.)  I through them in to re-fill the part I ate. I must say, it is a nice addition and adds to the bright and tasty mosaic inside that jar.

Hope you enjoy Tina's recipe as much as I did! Happy and Healthy eating everyone! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are always welcome and very important! Please feel free to leave your thoughts here. Namaste. :)